The most important part of the story is the ending...no one reads a book to get to the middle.
Friday, March 6, 2009
Holy Terrible Hospital Batman!
Oh heavens...I never thought that in my lifetime I would see a hospital that was worse than Missoula, MT...we all know how I feel about Missoula. That bump on Ethan's leg has been getting bigger, so we thought it would be a good idea to get it checked out. So we went to the Immediate Care Dr. office in Rock Springs. They were good (aside from a REALLY long wait). I got in and the nurses were nice and the Dr. came in and checked it out. He sounded very concerned. He let me know that it might not be anything, but by the feeling of bump and Ethan's age, he thought it very well could be some sort of a serious tumor. He said that if the ER can't work with whatever they find, they could send him to the Children's Primary Center. He said that if Ethan were an adult he would order an MRI to make sure what that bump was because it didn't feel good. But since there is NO WAY that we could get Ethan to hold still while they did an MRI (without sedation...which I would rather not do either...). So he sent me to the ER. And (I have to give credit...) he said "I will tell them that I am not going to charge you for this visit because I really didn't do anything." So, needless to say, I was pleased with them. However, when we got to the ER, we waited in the waiting room about 1/2 an hour (not too bad)...and they had us right in to the room. THEN we waited for 2 1/2 hours before the Dr. came in (well, almost 1/2 way in) and said "Ooops! I grabbed the wrong chart. Let me go get Ethan's chart, I promise you are next." Then 45 minutes later...how it took that long to walk less than 10 FEET...I have no idea...so then he comes in and feels his leg and tells me they can't do anything about it. I said "Well, the last Dr. told me not to let you just push me out the door without doing anything...so..." He says "Well, let me go get Dr. so-n-so, he's been here longer than me." Then another 20 minutes later he comes in and says basically "yup, there's nothing we can do, we don't do Biopsies here." (I thought that's what hospitals did, but apparently not). So then obviously, since I mentioned my lack of being able to "disguise" my tone of voice when I'm upset with someone in a previous blog, he knew I was MAD! He says "I realize that you are a little upset..." I told him, "No, I just now understand why everyone told me NOT to come to the Rock Springs hospital because you guys are useless...apparently they were right." Then he started to say something, but just clenched his jaw and left. So then I started to leave and they were like "They have more paper work that you are going to have to fill out before you can leave." So we waited another 10-15 min. waiting for them to get the paper work ready. The Dr. came back and said "I'm going to call (I forget what they call it here...) the Insta-CARE and tell them I don't know why they sent you here, I don't think there is anything we did." So I told him that I whole heartedly agreed that they didn't do anything. And surprise, surprise! They didn't have the decency to at least not charge me for doing nothing. I let them know though, that I would NOT be back there and I was going to find someone that would care enough to do something. So we are going to find someone that didn't get their doctorate from dip-weed school, and see if they can do something. I figure I am going home to see my brother home from his mission. So if we don't find any competent doctors here by then, I will probably take him to Billings and see if they will do something for him there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I guess you should have listened to the people that told you not to go there. At least that one doctor didn't charge you.
That sounds like an awful experience! I would definitely try and go to a hospital that you know and trust. I guess I missed you talking about his leg before. What happened? Did the bump just show up? Did he hurt his leg somehow?
Yikes! My sister is a life flight nurse in SLC. When we moved to Butte she made me PROMISE I would never go to that hospital. I think she would say the same for Rock Springs. My vote is Primary. They know what they're doing.
Good luck. Wow.
Post a Comment